ATLANTA INTERNATIONAL LAWYER FACILITATES BUSINESS GROWTH
TRANSACTIONAL AND LITIGATION SERVICES FOR CROSS-BORDER COMPANIES
When your company engages in commerce internationally or sets up subsidiaries in another country, the legal needs of your business can increase exponentially, as do the consequences of legal oversights and contract disputes. United States companies are taxable on their world-wide income, so global tax planning is mandatory. To minimize risk and maximize your potential for profit, it’s crucial to get sound legal advice from an experienced international business lawyer. For 25 years, Spizzirri Law Offices Company Limited has provided reliable guidance to businesses, including Fortune 500 companies with multibillion-dollar investments overseas, about the structure and function of international operations. We have a global network of law firms we partner with to act as local counsel on a variety of legal matters. Whether you own a small company that’s just getting started internationally or you represent a medium-sized business with significant overseas assets, we can help you navigate the choppy waters of international commerce and enhance your prospects of success.
UNDERSTANDING THE BASICS OF PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL LAW
The purpose of international planning is to add legal certainty to cross-border transactions between private parties, either as individuals or corporations. International business organizational and transactional structuring can involve a patchwork of conventions, protocols, model laws, legal guides, uniform documents, case law, practice, and custom, which form a regulatory framework for relationships among private parties in an international context. In the international context, common issues that arise from transactions between businesses include:
- Forum selection — Parties to an international business contract generally draft an arbitration clause specifying where an action under the contract can be filed.
- Jurisdiction — Despite contractual language, the right to a forum is not absolute. Parties often decide the forum selection clause does not suit their purposes, and ask the court to deny jurisdiction. A court may not, in fact, have jurisdiction over the controversy, or may decline to exercise jurisdiction citing forum non conveniens
- Choice of law — Where a trial takes place does not determine what law is applied. A U.S. manufacturer engaged in a dispute with an Argentine supplier may cite the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida as the forum to hear the case under Argentine law. However, parties to an international lawsuit can plead reasons why the court should nullify the contract’s choice of law clause.
- Foreign judgments — Questions often arise as to whether the court in one country can enforce a judgment rendered in another country’s court.
- Transactional structuring and transfer pricing — There are innumerable factors that determine whether a cross-border transaction can be profitable. With the help of foreign sales representatives, we conduct a thorough analysis of all factors related to pricing. We also work to ensure your company’s FCPA compliance is above reproach.
- Organizational structuring — to fully realize the potential value of a cross-border transaction, it is often necessary to create a new entity, such as a CFC, JV, holding company, or foreign branch. In any such enterprise, we safeguard your interests with detailed drafting and review of the entity agreements.
Complexities abound when your company starts to acquire business assets internationally. Your risk assessment, asset valuation, financing strategy, restructuring requirements, tax planning, and numerous other considerations depend on reliable collaboration with international partners. To be confident that your international venture advances your strategic goals, an experienced international business law attorney must carefully vet every step in the process working closely with local counsel, accounting professionals and foreign consultants.
SUBSTANTIAL EXPERIENCE IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS LAW
For success in matters of international law, an attorney must be able to collaborate smoothly and efficiently with legal counsel in-country. As a business lawyer in Atlanta, I have participated in several multijurisdictional, complex litigation matters in Latin America, Europe and Asia, including alternative dispute resolution processes in the People’s Republic of China.
I also have experience forming and optimizing transactional entities worldwide, such as new holding companies and special purpose entities. I have worked to refine international intercompany transactional agreements and transfer pricing analysis. I have managed legal issues related to corporate structuring, intellectual property, employment and labor, securities, litigation, alternative dispute resolution, contract management, risk management, budgeting, and third-party risk assessments.
When you retain my services for your international venture, I take a proactive approach to minimize risk and enhance the value of your investment.
Let a proactive corporate lawyer manage your international business contracts
Cross-border business ventures can open up great opportunities, but only if you manage risk properly. Trust Spizzirri Law Offices Company Limited to take a proactive approach to international business law that reduces your exposure to risk and helps you reap greater rewards. To schedule a consultation, call 404-458-8311 or contact my Atlanta office online.
" I've worked with many lawyers and Paul Spizzirri is by far the best. The first lawyer I have ever worked with that has a positive ROI. And the first lawyer who actually delivers on what he says he can do."
"After 2 years of fighting a battle that seemed we would not win even with all supporting documentation, we had an international commercial dispute with a purchase in South Korea. After multiple failed attempts and constant run around, I called Paul. He took a creative approach devising a solution that saved us both time and money. Paul within days engaged in discussions with in-house counsel and helped us reach a final resolution within a few weeks! A 2 year battle, Paul solved in just weeks!"
"I highly recommend Paul Spizzirri. We first spoke via my contacting several firms for legal expertise. Paul responds with promptness and with the ability to listen. He was fast to extract the facts and translate them into probabilities, and into a broad strategy that I could understand. It is good to have Paul in your corner to fight for your interests."